Thursday, September 13, 2012

Wednesday Rants: End of Summer

This was supposed to be out yesterday. However, I decided to snuggle a sick baby boy instead of post. Sorry.
I love summer. I enjoy going to the beach or pool.  I love the Dude’s new found enthusiasm for his smoker. There’s something uplifting and liberating about summer. If nothing else, it always reminds you of being a kid and the freedom of being out of school.
I also love fall. I love the crisp air, wearing jeans and sweatshirts, and fall baking. I am thankful for the reprieve from humidity that allows me to increase the thermostat to 74 without melting everyone. I especially love that the boys can play outside for more than 5 minutes at a time.
What I hate is the transition period. It generally starts just after Labor Day and can sometimes last for a few weeks. My distaste for this particular time frame stems from a few sources. First of all, Mother Nature can’t make up her mind… it’s chilly, jacket worthy weather in the morning and warm enough for shorts by the afternoon. Mind you, this makes little difference to me since my office is sub-zero all ALL YEAR LONG. But what the heck do I dress the children in? They each own a few pair of those light weight warm up/track pants so they’ve worn them a few days this week with short sleeves and a jacket in the morning. I refuse to do laundry during the week so I when they are out of light pants I guess we’ll have to decide if it’ll be cool enough for jeans or warm enough for shorts.
I also hate the effect the changing weather has on their poor little immune system. The first DAY the temperature dropped poor D2 woke up with a hoarse voice and cough. Then of course B-dubs start to get it. And B-dubs doesn’t do sick very quietly. He woke up at least 3 times on Tuesday night coughing and hurting. Then on Wednesday he was very fussy and weepy, and coughing horribly, and had a temperature. So he got sent home from school. Of course this happens during the week that the Dude is training out of town for work and not at his office 10 minutes from preschool. The poor bubby had to wait 35+ minutes for me to get there from my office.
Speaking of my commute… one other thing I hate about summer ending is the TRAFFIC! Apparently EVEYRONE decides that after Labor Day they’d better stop taking vacations and actually go to work. I swear on the 6 lane interstate I haven’t driven over 30 MPH for three straight days. It’s hasn’t been the fault of accidents or road work either. It’s purely due to an increase in volume that is congesting my drive and making me late to work and in a foul mood. Makes me look forward to the holidays when people start slacking off at work again.
What are your favorite/least favorite things about this time of year?

No comments:

Post a Comment